Here’s a delicious treat that a little bit healthier, instead of actual caramel you make it from dates! It’s fun to make and you can feel free to add other items based on what you like in your chocolate!
- ¾ cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 12 oz. bittersweet chocolate (about 1 cup), chopped
- 1 tsp. virgin coconut oil
- Flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300°. You’ll use a muffin tin to make your chocolate cups! I recommend a mini one! Add the cupcake liners so there’s less of a mess!
- Spread nuts and coconut, in an even layer on a small rimmed baking sheet and toast, stirring once or twice, until nuts are darkened and fragrant and coconut is starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Then, place dates in a medium bowl. Pour boiling water over to cover dates and let soak 10 minutes. Drain dates, reserving soaking liquid.
- Transfer dates and 2 Tbsp. soaking liquid to a food processor. Add kosher salt and pulse, scraping down bowl occasionally, until smooth and creamy, with no large pieces of dates remaining. You can also add the soaking liquid so it blends a little easier
- Melt chocolate and oil in a heatproof bowl in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until smooth and glossy, about 1 minute total.
- Pour about 1½ tsp. melted chocolate into each liner
- Add a spoon full of date caramel into each liner, pressing to gently spread down and around. Top each cup with 1 tsp. melted chocolate, using the back of a spoon to spread it around and cover as much caramel and bare nuts as possible. Sprinkle with remaining nut mixture and sea salt.
- Chill until chocolate is firm, about 1 hour.