Writing down your thoughts and feelings can actually help you feel better and so now in 2022 is the time to Journal!
Journaling can help you change your brain chemistry to increase feelings of peace and happiness and help you calm your nerves.
When you start to write down your thoughts and feelings, it allows the writing to become the outlet rather than keeping them bottled up. When you journal, it helps you to process your experiences before you share them with others, so you can derive meaning from your life.
There are actually all kinds of studies on how journaling and writing can help you feel better! In a 2018 study published in the journal Innovation in Aging, they found that when you write down what you’re grateful for or expressive write, you are more likely to feel resilient and optimistic. Another study from 2018 in the Journal of Medical Internet Research Mental Health posited that after journaling, people found decreased feelings of anxiety and stress after a month. So it sounds like it’s time to pick up the pen and get writing.
The empty page or the pretty notebook can be scary, but once you get started it will get easier and easier.
Here are ten ideas on what to write about on that empty page.
- Something That Made You Happy That Day.
- Something You are Grateful For.
- Just start Writing Nonsense. Set a timer for ten minutes and tell yourself you have to just write. Nothing needs to make sense, all you have to do is write something. Your mind will take you in the right direction just by being forced to pen something down.
- What’s Troubling You.
- What’s Going Well.
- A Key Mantra.
- Your Biggest Win.
- Your Favorite Book.
- Your Daily Routine.
- Your Goals for the Year.
- How You Relax.
- A Friend.
- A Family Member.
- Where You Want To Travel.
- When You Feel Most Confident.
- How You Want Home To Feel.
- What You Appreciate about Your S.O.
- What You Need to Hear Today.
- What Stresses You Out
- Thoughts That Repeat Through Your Head.
- How to Support Yourself.
- How to Nurture Your Mind, Body, and Soul More.
- How You Judge Yourself. How can you begin to accept yourself more?
- Your Perfect Day.
- How to Make Space for More of What You Love.