First of all, what is the deal with menstrual cups?
There’s been an explosion of all types of cups on the market, your friends have started using them, you’ve heard how good they are for the environment, we’re going to unpack all of it.
But what is a Menstrual Cup?
A menstrual cup is a sustainable option for women looking to explore products for menstruation besides pads and tampons. Generally made from a flexible silicone or latex rubber, it’s a way to reuse a menstrual product so you’re not constantly throwing out your pads and tampons.
- They’re easy to use! Menstrual cups are flexile and easy to use. They’re inserted just like a tampon and are comfortable like a tampon.
- You’re helping with sustainability! In terms of menstrual products, a woman will throw away close to three hundred pounds of tampons and pads in her whole lifetime, and each year 20 billion feminine hygiene products end up just in North American landfills. So by using a menstrual cup, you’re helping to eliminate all of that waste.
- You’re saving money! Another reason to choose a menstrual cup is the economic aspect. You’re no longer buying products each month to help with your flow, but rather one cup that you can continue to reuse between one to ten years depending on the product and cleaning.
- Your vagina is actually healthier! Menstrual cups also don’t dry the vagina, unlike tampons. This helps to preserve the healthy bacteria that help you fight vaginal infections.
- Menstrual cups don’t contain chemicals found in tampons and pads like dioxin and bleach. You do have to be careful about the cup you buy and make sure the plastic is safe for you, a lot of them are made from latex, which is a common allergen, make sure to check the ingredients.
No matter what kind of sanitary product you choose to use, know all of your options and give the menstrual cup a try.