It’s officially the start of blueberry season, and so that means its time for all of the blueberry recipes!
My favorite happens to be this amazing blueberry cheesecake.
Do you have a favorite blueberry recipe?
Blueberries are also so good for you! They are the number one source for antioxidants in fruit, so feel free to scatter them on anything and everything! And, in just one cup of blueberries you get about 24% of your daily allowance of Vitamin C, which is pretty amazing.
Something I just learned about blueberries is that it is the only fruit that is native to North America that is regularly commercially available. They were called “star berries” by Native Americans because of the shape of the flowers. They believed that they were gift from the Great Spirit to relieve a famine. Some historians even think that blueberries were present at the first Thanksgiving in the form of “sautauthig” which was a pudding that combined water, honey, cornmeal, and blueberries, a part of the Native American diet.
We may not be combining blueberries and honey for this particular recipe, but for me, as a New Yorker, Cheesecake is best served with fresh blueberries. I hope you enjoy it!
For the crust:
- 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup of melted butter
- ¼ cup of sugar
For the filling:
- 32 oz of cream temperature
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of milk
For the topping:
- Whip cream!
- First you’ll start with making the crust. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Wrap your pie or cake pan in parchment paper.
- Using a food processor, combine the graham crackers, sugar, and butter. Press the mixture into the pan and bake for about 5 minutes until slightly brown.
- Next, start to make the filling. Mix the cream cheese and sugar together until they are blended. I recommend an electric mixer.
- Mix in the eggs, milk and vanilla
- Add the filling to the now room temperature piecrust.
- Bake the cheesecake for about an hour or until the cheesecake is slightly browned on the top.
- Then allow the cheesecake to completely come to room temperature and refrigerate it over night.
- Add blueberries and whip cream for an extra spring-y topping!