Raise your hand if you’ve stopped wearing pants to zoom calls, unless it’s sweat pants? Do you have your virtual background all set? Or did you redo part of your room so it’s more conducive for zoom calls? Are you burnt out by zoom? Are you so tired of all of your clothes?
Zoom meetings are very different than a regular, in-person meeting. For one thing, in person meetings you have to dress from head to toe, whereas in a zoom meeting, you’re only seeing the top half of an outfit. This means you can wear any kind of bottom and shoe combination, my favorite are some pink fluffy slippers that make everyday cozy! But on the top half, you want to be put together and professional!
Clothes to avoid are bright and dangling earrings (these are so distracting), striped tops (have you noticed how they fuzz up on video), and clothing that’s too bright or has too many patterns, you don’t want to distract from your face. You don’t want to go too casual, with those athletic clothes that you’ve had on for four days, but you don’t need to go traditional suit anymore either.
So what should you be wearing?
Here are five ways to spice up dressing for those virtual meetings.
1. Solids are best. They don’t distract from your face, and they also are easy to see on any kind of computer camera.
2. Try accessories. Add a fun necklace or a scarf to switch things up. You don’t want anything too distracting, but grab that solid shirt and keep it fun with a pearl necklace, a silk scarf, or any kind of fashion jewelry. I personally haven’t worn jewelry in 6 months, but as I type this, I am compelled to grab those necklaces I loved wearing into the office. Why not?
3. Add accessories to that hair! Try one of the trending giant hair clips, or try that new hairstyle that you’ve always wanted to do on YouTube. Why not? Headbands are also very in and elevate an outfit to a more polished look.
4. Add Layers. Grab a sweater or blazer to complete the look. You can just leave one on the back of your chair! When you have that meeting just put it on over your solid and voila! An outfit!
5. Make sure your lighting is the best. Buy a ring light, they’re sold everywhere online, I bought mine on amazon! They help you have a light on your face that’s not too bright and keep you looking fine! #itsalwaysmagichour