We’re so happy to bring you The Jubilee! It’s all about that Summer Livin’! What are your favorite things to do in the summertime? We want to know! We’ll give you some great ideas to take in relaxation and enjoy this beautiful weather.
“Traditions Around the World for Summer Solstice”
Summer Solstice is fast approaching on June 21st so take advantage of the LONGEST Day of the year and celebrate those sunny rays! With a sun that even extends to midnight in some parts of the world, the day has long been associated with fertility and pleasure.
In Greece, one of the oldest rituals for the Summer Solstice is called Kildonas. The unmarried women of the city gather a bowl of water from the sea and then place it under a fig tree overnight, and the idea of it is that the women will then dream of their future husband.
In Eastern Europe, the Solstice is celebrated on their Ivan Kupala Day, the word “Kupala” is derived from the word “Cupid,” so naturally, it’s about finding love. Back in the day, unmarried women would float wreaths across a river, and young single men would catch them and then become a couple. Now it’s just a day to celebrate love.
At Stonehendge in England, there is one of the biggest Solstice celebrations in the world. A large festival breaks out for the celebration.
In Sweden, they celebrate with a Maypole and drinking. There’s a tradition that unmarried females can place certain flowers under their pillow to help them find a husband.
How will you celebrate the Solstice?
“Things to do for a Stay-Cation”
You don’t have to go somewhere to have a vacation. Sometimes it can be more convenient, more manageable, and certainly less expensive to have a staycation!
1. Where to stay? You can stay in your house, but bring in flowers from your garden or the supermarket to create a “new space.” Or why not set up a tent in the backyard or living room? You don’t have to sleep there, but put some pillows in for a fun new “place” to read and relax?
2. What to eat? Go to that restaurant you’ve always wanted to try but have never had the chance, go wander a different neighborhood in your city and choose a restaurant at random, or cook something you’ve never made before!
3. Activities? Create a summer Olympics in your backyard, have a hula hooping contest, corn hole, or a game of croquet. You don’t even have to leave the house to have fun!
4. Explore! Go out and explore a neighborhood in your city you barely venture to, just wander around and enjoy! Attend outdoor concerts, movies, and plays, many are free, just bring a picnic.
5. Relax! Take that time for yourself, in your new Relaxation Tent or even just your couch, take time for YOU! Read a book, play an instrument, or go get your nails done, YOU deserve it! It’s YOUR staycation! Visit museums, many host summer hours and offer discounts on certain days of the week.
Go on vacation while you’re still in your own city, it’s summer time and YOU deserve a break!
“How Summer Sun Boosts Your Well Being with Becca”
Summer is here and the crisp watermelon, pool lounging, and chilled rosé are calling your name! There is nothing like spending all day basking in the sunshine. It feels good, but did you know that spending quality time in the summer sun could boost your mental wellbeing? Here’s how!
- Getting that sunglow boosts your Vitamin D levels! Vitamin D does so much for your body, but one of the main benefits of getting some more Vitamin D is lowered inflammation (Tri-city Medical Center, 2019).
- When your inflammation is lowered, you’re able to move better and have an overall better quality of life!
- Sunshine releases serotonin in your brain! Serotonin is a chemical released from the brain that promotes calmness and elevated mood. When our eyes view sunlight, our retinas take it in, which triggers the production of more serotonin (Legg, 2018).
- So, let those beautiful eyes soak up all the sun you can this summer! Remember to wear those shades though.
What more can you ask for other than a healthy body, mood boosts, and summer sun? So put on some sunscreen and head outside! Tag us in your summer sun pictures at #JubilanceinJune so we can get some serotonin boosts too.
Becca Lantry is currently pursing her MS in Marriage and Family Therapy from San Diego State University. She currently holds her MA in Counseling and Education and works with youth, young adults, and families around confidence, love, relationships, and empowerment. Becca has been taking Jubilance for the last few months and she is able to love herself more during those times of emotional PMS because of it.
“Strawberry Spritzer for Summer Soirees”
Why not liven up a party with this chic Strawberry Spritzer, it’s perfect for that refreshing summer day and you can make it alcoholic or not!
What you need:
- Mason Jar or your favorite glass
- Sparkling Water
- Rose Wine or Lemonade
How to make it:
- Muddle the Strawberries and place in glass
- Add slice of lemon
- Handful of ice
- Pour sparkling water half of glass
- Pour Rose or Lemonade in other half
- Garnish with a sprig of mint and a Strawberry
- Add a Straw (paper of course)
“Fun in the Summer Sun with Kellidawn”
Summer is here and it is my favorite time of year. I’m a school teacher. I have ten weeks to enjoy the hot days and the long nights.
As a mom with three boys there are certain items and activities needed to ensure fun in the sun.
- At the beginning of the summer I take my boys to the Dollar General store and give them $5 each to spend on pool toys. It is incredible how far $15 goes at the dollar store! Dollar store toys are perfect for the summer because I don’t spend a ton of money and if/when they get lost, it’s easily replaced.
- Cool off in a body of water. I prefer a pool and I’m lucky to have a neighborhood pool. I take a book, an ice chest, several towels, and bubbles. Yes, even boys play with bubbles. It’s really enjoyable lounging by the pool with bubbles floating in the air!
- Sit outside on a nice evening and listen to the sounds of summer. I know this isn’t in the sun, but there are certain sounds that summer brings and we only get to enjoy them June, July, and August. I love hearing the cicadas at night, and if I’m lucky seeing fire flies!
- I already have my calendar planned for local activities. Austin has plays in the park, free concerts, free yoga day, baseball games, splash pads, and festivals for tacos! Check local events in your town and see what fun you can find.
- Season pass to a fun park. Every Christmas I buy my family a season pass to an amusement or water park. I’m already planning my summer in December. This year we will be enjoying Fiesta Texas (Six Flags). It has a water park and roller coasters.
- The most important summer necessity….SUNSCREEN! We don’t want to damage our skin while having fun. I buy sunscreen every week at the grocery store. My favorite brand….HEB’s sunscreen. Great price and great coverage!
Have a wonderful summer! And don’t forget your sunscreen!
Have a wonderful summer! And don’t forget your sunscreen!
Kellidawn is a true southern girl at heart. When she’s not wrangling her three boys, she can be found broadening the minds of high school seniors in her English class. This former college twirler is also an avid Star Wars fan and movie buff who loves spending time with family and friends.
“This stuff works holy moly!” — Amber
Your June should celebrate how hard you work during the year! Take time to relax, create your own staycation, and soak up those summer rays. It will make you happier and healthier!