As we mentioned above, during PMS, it’s important to eat more complex carbs. This means that the carbohydrates have 3 or more natural sugars and will be high in fiber. This helps you to keep cravings under control, feeling fuller longer. Try eating sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin, and lentils. We’ll create a recipe that uses both a sweet potato and lentils!
What you need:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste, or 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups firmly packed baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cook the sweet potatoes in the oven. 3. Meanwhile, cook the lentils according to the package
- Dice the onion and tomatoes. 5. Chop up the garlic 6. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin, stirring continually for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and cook, for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender and translucent.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Decrease the heat to low and stir in the lentils, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, harissa, and salt for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the spinach. Cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach has wilted, adding water by the 1⁄4 cup if needed to prevent sticking (about 1 to 2 minutes).
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half and add the spinach and lentils to the middle of it, so it’s like a taco!